In this project we worked alongside an orphanage called, Cuidad de los Angeles (City of the Angels) which sits right outside of Tijuana, Baja California. Each orphan was paired with two kids from our Soler, Patton team. Every student had to construct/build a toy for their buddy. I decided to partner up with two kids so in the end I would be building two toys.
Two hour challenge:
After being assigned our buddy's we were given a 2 hour challenge. In these two hours we had to create a prototype of what our toy was going to look like. During this time I only had my first buddy, Jiovani so I was only able to make a prototype for him. After spending a lot of time researching different ideas I decided to build him a target and a rubber band gun. Next I quickly got to work. I took a large piece of cardboard and grabbed a handful of paints such as, white, red, blue and yellow in order to build the target. Here is a photo of my final product. I ended up really liking the final look so I decided to use this as my actual target that I would give to my buddy.
Peer critique and Personal Growth Reflection:
After making our prototypes we had a long critique session. After this we reflected on what we already liked, what was difficult, what would we do differently, what are we proud about, and what are our plans to continue forward. Here are photos of the critique I got and my reflection.
Design and Support:
Here below I included photos of my design where I explained what I was going to construct, the materials I needed and a quick sketch. I also took a photo of my, "Apoyo con Diseño" where I found two tutorials on how to build my toys. I also included quick tips to remember when I'm building.
Process and Materials:
We were first told that our due date would be until December 11 but it ended up getting moved up about a week earlier. This put a lot of us in a time strain. I had four days to construct two toys for my buddy's.
Tuesday: Tuesday was when we were told our due date. Since we were told on that day I didn't have any materials, I wasn't really able to build anything so I decided to finalize all my plans and make a quick materials list. For Dafne I wanted to make her a scarf so after school I went to the store and picked up some yarn. I began the scarf at my house since it is the most time taking.
Wednesday: On Wednesday I decided to use my target prototype for my final product since I spent a lot of time painting it and it was in really good shape. The only thing I decided to add was another piece of cardboard to the back in order to make the whole piece more durable. I also began working on the rubber band gun that would go with the target. I made the rubber band gun out of Popsicle sticks and glued them together with hot glue. After school I went to the store and bought a box to put my gift it and some separate nail polishes and lip glosses. At home I continued working on the scarf.
This is when I got most of my work done. I finished both the target and since the rubber band gun was finished I decided to paint it blue. I used most of this day to work on the scarf.
Friday: Friday was the due date. At that point I was pretty much done with both gifts excepts for the scarf. I worked on the scarf for a bit and once I decided it was long enough I removed it from the loom. Next I wrapped all the gifts up and put them in the finished pile.